Monday, August 03, 2009

NUUN : Product Review

I was asked to do a product review on NUUN for runners.

Please understand that I have not used this product and do not intend to use it. I also do not sell it.

This is just my perspective after looking through the companies web site.

What is NUUN?

Nuun (pronounced like noon) is an electrolyte replacement tablet product. The tablet is dissolved in water. The makers claim that it will replace all the minerals necessary for an endurance athlete, thereby assisting in hydration, as well as helping to fight fatigue and cramping. Many people claim that it helps them.

The first problem I see for runners is that the product has to be used in a bottle. Many runners do not like to carry bottles, particularly during a race. This would work well for bicycle riders who normally carry a water bottle. However most runners would prefer something they can just take out of a pocket and down quickly with a gulp or two of water from an aid station. This product can not be used that way.

The next thing I noticed is that their literature is a little misleading in that it claims that the reduction that users have noticed in cramping is due to the mineral content. While this is partially true, the bigger effect from this product in reducing cramps would probably be from the bicarbonate in it. Yes, bicarbonate involves minerals, but there is more to it than that.

I might also mention that bicarbonate can be irritating to the digestive tract.

While looking at the ingredient list, I next noticed that it contains sorbitol. Sorbitol can cause some problems for some people, so just be aware that that is part of the mix.

The other ingredient that I would have a problem with is polyethylene glycol. This product can also cause gastrointestinal problems for some people. It is used to help to break down minerals as well as so slow down some body processes. It can slow up the immune system functions as well. It is used as a laxative, and should not be used by pregnant individuals, or people with bowel troubles. It also should not be used without first talking to your doctor if you are on any prescription medications.

Of course, they are just using a very small amount of polyethylene glycol, and it is considered to be safe by the FDA in low doses.

Overall, I would not recommend the use of this product for most runners.

Of course I do recognize that it is important to replace electrolytes that the body uses up during endurance training and events. But it is my belief that there are better products than this one out there.

I would suggest something like eDISCS made by the Medion Corporation.
No, I don't sell those either.

Other questions? Please ask.

4 comments:

nuun said...

hi - tim from nuun here and i wanted to email you but don't know how to...so mail us at tim@nuun.com

i wanted to make a couple of points:
- i'm sorry you're not trying nuun. it's hard to ascertain the effectiveness of something without using it. as with most things, what works for one person may not work for another. but at the same time, it's hard to infer something from the literature alone
- nuun's goal is to replace the electrolytes (not minerals) and to ensure that the water consumption is both increased and more efficient than with plain water alone. we are used by some of the best athletes on the planet in the most gruelling events. in fact, we excel in longer events like ultra runs
- obviously, the longer the run, the more important hydration is, and on these runs the athletes will carry water bottles...but yes, you need a bottle for nuun (or at least a cup and a steady hand)
- cramping; it's the electrolytes, not the minerals that stops that and to your point on bicarbonates...actually the bicarbonates convert to CO2 and leave the citrate in solution when the tabs dissolve. so not only does the bicarb not help with cramping, it's not a gastric irritant
- as above, we make a drink that's used at the highest levels of competition and it doesn't upset tummies. if it did - we wouldn't have many people using it. the only thing i can do here is say to you that so see, you'll need to use it
- the last thing...nuun doesn't have sugars in it. too many people have gastric issues with sugars and/or are just put off by the taste. nuun works in part because people can drink it. which is fairly important for a drink

if you do ever want to try nuun - let us know. i'm sure we can work something out and you can tell people what you think then.

have fun

Coach G said...

Tim,
Thanks for your comments.
I'm sure my readers find it interesting.

I agree with you that hydration is very important for endurance events. I'm just not sure that your product is the best way to do that.

I was talking about what happens in the human body, not in test tubes.

Perhaps in a perfect world the bicarbonate will all disappear, but we both know that that takes time and ventilation. So it will really depend on how someone uses your product.

Don't you think it's a little dishonest to say there is no sugar, when you are using sugar alcohols? Perhaps not.

I don't try stuff out when I know it has negative ingredients, so I won't be trying your product.

You like to make a distinction between electrolytes and minerals, but that's a little silly. Come on, you do know where electrolytes come from, don't you?

The bottom line is you are trying to use buzz words to sell your product. That is natural. I don't blame you for doing that.

I don't doubt that your product can help people to stay hydrated.

And it probably won't cause most people problems in the short term.

It makes no difference how many elite athletes you have talked into using your product. That does not make it the best product out there.

There are many elite athletes pushing all kinds of things that I can not recommend because of the negative long term consequences.

Sorry, for me there are better alternatives out there. I have to be honest.

I'm not trying to attack your product, I'm sure you are doing the best you know how. I was just asked a specific question by one of my readers, and had to be honest about my opinion.

I learned long ago, that even ingredients in very small amounts can make significant differences in the long run.

Perhaps you will decide to reformulate your product without the negatives, and then we can talk again.

nuun said...

thanks for your comments. i started nuun as a way to improve on "sports drinks". i have to say, that with over 5 years of users and me being the longest one, that i still love nuun, what it is and what it does. we're in chicago for the lollapalooza festival and nuun works just as brilliantly here as it does on the bike/run. don't need the sugar. don't need the waste.

i appreciate your comments - maybe you should look at "U", our other product, but again it's got bicarbs in there (they do completely dissolve...the ending solution for nuun and U is mildly acidic) so i'm not sure you'll like that either.

i strongly agree with the view that what's right for me isn't necessarily what's right for you. i'm veggie/mostly vegan and that's not what the majority choose.

as before. have fun.

Coach G said...

Nuun,
You didn't understand. It isn't the bicarbs I had trouble with. I merely mentioned that they can cause some people problems.

The bigger problems are the ones you ignored in your response.

Go back and read my original blog.

I help you out. Hint: sorbitol, polyethylene glycol.

Coach G.